…45 looooong years ago…
- The Yankees won their 14th straight, beating the Red Sox, 3�1.
- Future Hall of Famer Billy Williams hit his first major league homer, as the Cubs beat the Dodgers, 10�8.
- Oh, the Braves lost to the Pirates 7-3 in Pittsburgh.
- Chubby Checker’s “The Twist” was the number one song in the nation for the fourth straight week.
- Nigeria and Cyprus gained their independence from Great Britian.
- The Beatles performed at the Indra Club, Grosse Freiheit, Hamburg, West Germany.
- Miles Davis performed at the Astoria Theatre, Finsbury, London.
- Atlas ICBM Missiles were first deployed.
- The Cartwrights tried to end a disabled rancher’s dependence on his corrupt hired hand on Bonanza.
- Rose, the former housekeeper, got married, Opie was unhappy at her departure, Aunt Bee came to live with Andy and Opie, and Opie was not exactly thrilled with her, as the best TV show ever debuted.
And on this day, in other years, these people made their debuts…
- Jay Underwood
- Mark McGwire
- Randy Quaid
- Donny Hathaway
- Stella Stevens
- Julie Andrews
- Sir Richard Harris
- George Peppard
- Rod Carew
- John Glenn
- Tom Bosley
- Jimmy Carter
- James Whitmore
- Walter Matthau
- Vladimir Horowitz
The first list? I don’t remember a single one of those events!
The second list? Pretty good bunch of folks, eh?