Long, interesting day today. In case you’re interested – all two of you – it went and is going something like this…
- The soundtrack for tonight’s Unwind is courtesy of Willie Nelson and Wynton Marsalis. Love their new CD, Two Men with the Blues! Some reviewer talked about how Willie’s losing it vocally. Maybe, but the blues in his voice is the real deal! (Can I get an Amen?)
- “The Boy” was home for a surprise visit over the weekend. Always good to spend a little time with him. Even if some of that time was spent in Bass Pro Shop! (Camouflage light switch covers, anyone? Maybe a largemouth bass mailbox? What about a toilet paper roller made out of deer antlers?) And we think Jesus Junk is way out there!
- Talked about power this morning. Which was especially apropos since many of our people had been without it for about 12 hours!
- Overheard one of our women say something like…“I was so focused on Charlie’s sermon I forgot to take notes!” Cool. I guess…
- Had a great opportunity to bless a couple in our church in a very real, specific way. And that was very cool!
- Lunch. O’Charley’s. Saw about 7 of my Y folks who were paranoid about what they were eating. Too funny! (I guess it’s kind of like when you see your teacher in the grocery store or something like that!)
- Talked about Barnabas this evening. I think of all the characters in the Bible, I’d like to be like ol’ Barney! Encourager and all that jazz…
- Mad dash after our evening service to the lake for a farewell party for my Y boss. Pretty low-key affair, about a dozen or so folks. Good food, good fun, lousy Jimmy Buffett/Kenny Chesney wannabe providing the entertainment. (The bottom of the check said, “Live music 3-8 pm Sunday.” One of our Y peeps observed: “It’s after 8, and there hasn’t been any live music since we got here, but that guy keeps on going!”)
- The shrimp po-boys aren’t quite the same in Cherokee County, Georgia as they are in N’awlins, but they’ll do in a pinch.
- I just realized that next-to-last bullet point was very un-Barnabas-like. (“Forgive me, Lord, and bless all the pygmies in the Congo!”)
- Treated Dr. Jerry Vines to Starbucks on the way home. He was just in from Springdale, Arkansas. “Not the end of the world, but you can see it from there,” I opined.
- While at Starbucks, I watched one of the baristas roll his own smoke. I thought that was a lost art that went out when Moses was just a corporal. Interesting….
- Finishing up a little reading, then off to bed, because 4 am comes dark and early!
- Oh, one more thing…our little a/c replacement is only going to be less than $15,000. Notice I said “only.” Lots better than the 19 grand we originally thought it was going to be.
I’m out. See y’all in the morning!